The Times and The Sunday Times today announce the launch of the Scaling Up Summit, in partnership with The Scottish National Investment Bank. The Scaling Up Summit aims to bring together Scottish investors and Small and Medium-sized Enterprise (SME) business leaders to address the challenges facing scale-up businesses.
The Scaling Up Summit is taking place on Wednesday 29th March 2023 at the Sheraton Grand Hotel, Edinburgh. The summit aims to spotlight scaling-up strategies, putting a finger on the pulse of Scotland’s budding industries. The audience will hear from leading voices in the investment community, including Calum Paterson, Managing Partner, Scottish Equity Partners, and Jane Martin, Managing Director of Innovation and Enterprise, Scottish Enterprise.
With opening remarks and welcomes from Magnus Llewellin, Editor at The Sunday Times Scotland, and Sarah Roughead, interim CEO at The Scottish National Investment Bank, the event will proceed with a series of panels and fireside chats.
Magnus Llewellin, Editor at The Times Scotland commented: "Business people with big ambitions can face many hurdles as they seek to attract the financial support that is vital to help them scale up and achieve their visions for the future. So we are delighted to be joining forces once more with The Scottish National Investment Bank team to highlight the challenges and opportunities both businesses and investors can encounter as they go for growth."
Willie Watt, Chair of the Scottish National Investment Bank states: “There is a clear opportunity for Scotland to convert many growing businesses into ones that can achieve global scale, building on our long heritage as a society of innovators. This conference aims to shine a light on this opportunity and to help the leaders of these businesses to learn from the experience of those who have gone before them, and to hear how the investment community can support this growth.”
The summit will address the criticality of scaling from three crucial perspectives: investors, SMEs and the Scottish economy at large. Sarah Roughead will outline the bank’s key priorities when it comes to investing in scalable businesses, while Jane Martin will examine supporting scalable businesses beyond finance.
Meanwhile, Gillian Bowditch, Columnist at The Sunday Times Scotland, Alastair Banham, CEO of pureLiFi, and two other scale-up business leaders will look at the challenges for scalable businesses, asking - what are the key barriers to securing investment, and what indicates that a business is ready for scaling? Calum Paterson, Managing Partner, Scottish Equity Partners will analyse the current landscape for scaling businesses in the Scottish economic climate.
- Alistair Banham CEO, pureLiFi
- Gillian Bowditch, Journalist, The Sunday Times Scotland
- Ana Stewart, Chair, Women in Entrepreneurship Review
- Nicola Douglas, Executive Director, The Scottish National Investment Bank
- Patrick Graham, Head of Scotland & Northern Ireland, BGF
- Carolyn Jameson, Chief Trust Officer, Trustpilot
- Magnus Llewellin, Editor, The Times Scotland
- Jane Martin, Managing Director of Innovation and Investment, Scottish Investment
- Calum Paterson, Managing Partner, Scottish Equity Partners
- Hannah Prevett, Deputy Editor, The Times Enterprise Network
- Sarah Roughead, Interim CEO, and permanent CFO, The Scottish National Investment Bank
- Irene Graham OBE, Founding CEO, ScaleUp Institute
- Kevin Havelock, Regional Director Edinburgh & East of Scotland Commercial – Mid Markets, Royal Bank of Scotland
- David Ritchie, Executive Director, Head of Partnerships & Engagement, The Scottish National Investment Bank
- Willie Watt, Chair, The Scottish National Investment Bank
For more information about the event and registration, go to: https://times-event.com/scalingup/#/